I Am an Immigrant, How Can I Get Married in North Carolina?


The fact that you are an immigrant should not be a problem for you to be able to get married in North Carolina. In order to get married, you will first need to apply for a marriage license, both Durham and Wake County have marriage license applications online.

What Type of Identification Do I Need to Get a Marriage License?

  • Driver’s License;

  • A State Identification Card;

  • A Passport;

  • A Military Identification;

Do I Need to Have a Social Security Number to Get Married?

  • You have to present a Social Security Card or a legal document with your full Social Security number on it;

What Can I Do if I Don’t Have a Social Security Number?

  • If you are not eligible for a social security number, you can still obtain a marriage license. However, you will have to complete an affidavit attesting to that fact;

Durham County provides the the affidavit on site for the applicants.

Wake County applicants can access the affidavit online by clicking here.

How Old Do I Need to Be to Get Married in North Carolina?

  • If you are between the ages of 18 – 21 you have to provide a certified copy of your birth certificate, as well as your identification;

  • If you are under eighteen (18) years of age, you have to call the office of the Marriage license division in the Register of Deeds office to get guidance with regards to the requirements;

What Do I Need to Get a Marriage License?

  • You cannot be already be married;

  • You have to get married within 60 days of obtaining your marriage license;

  • You have to get married in the State of North Carolina;

  • You have to pay $60.00 in (Cash, Money Order, or Bank Check) to get a marriage license;

  • Your marriage license is valid for 60 days, you have to get married within 60 days from the issuance of the license, otherwise, the license will expire;

Online Marriage Application for Wake County NC

Online Marriage Application for Durham County NC

Other Resources:

Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.