Overseas Naturalization for Military Members’ Spouses


INA 319(e) Overseas Naturalization for Military Members’ Spouses

Being stationed abroad can be challenging. Having to deal with US Immigration Filings (while abroad) can be stressful. However, there is a way to naturalize while abroad. Spouses of U.S. Armed Forces who are stationed abroad can be naturalized while abroad under INA 319(e).

Normally, Naturalizations are conducted on U.S. Soil, but this option is available for military service members’ spouses.

How Do I Qualify to Naturalize Abroad?

In order to qualify for naturalization abroad, the applicant needs to meet the following requirements:

  • Be stationed abroad under official orders with the military service member spouse;

  • Be a lawful permanent resident for 3 continuous years; or 5 continuous years before filing for naturalization;

  • Your U.S. citizen military service member must have been a U.S. citizen for at least three years;

  • Live with your U.S. citizen military service member spouse for at least three years;

  • Live in the U.S. for a total of 18 months out of the 3 years, but the time spent abroad under military orders with your spouse counts towards the continuous presence and physical presence requirement; and

  • You must meet other eligibility requirements, such as good moral character;

As you can see in the eligibility requirements, the important requirement is “time.” Time being married to the service member, and time being a Green Card Holder. If you have enough time, you can qualify for this special type of Naturalization.

What Is the Process Like?

The process is pretty similar to the Naturalization process in the U.S., after filing your application for Naturalization, you will receive a receipt notice, a notice for you to get your biometrics taken and an interview notice to take the naturalization test and go through the naturalization ceremony if you pass the test.

Where Can I Naturalize Under 319(e)?

In Europe, US Service members have a chance every quarter to perform the 319(e) Naturalization in either Germany or Italy. However, the interview part of the process for naturalizing in Germany and Italy during the pandemic has become very uncertain, due to international travel restrictions due to COVID19. For Asia, Africa, Central America, and South America, you may have to travel back to the United States to complete the Naturalization Test, Oath Ceremony, and US Passport Process.

If you believe you meet the requirements listed above and are interested in naturalizing while stationed abroad. Do not hesitate to contact our office to schedule an appointment with our lawyer. Naturalizations can be tricky if done without proper guidance because if you do not qualify or meet all the requirements, your application can be denied. Contact our office to get more information on overseas naturalizations.

Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client